Profile Of A Polymath
Events Organiser – PR – Photographer
I’ve had a twenty year portfolio career that combines event organisation, marketing, PR, copywriting, event production and photography. For the first fifteen years of my career I worked in Marketing/PR for large London corporates (Sony Music, Sony Psygnosis and SonyPlaystation Europe), event planners (Indeprod), global publishers (Elle Magazine), SMEs (3Dlabs), agencies (TMD Carat) and start up entrepreneurs (Computer Artworks). I provide everything from event concept creation, brand strategy, commercial photography, asset design, UK and international PR strategy/management, direct media liaison (broadcast, social and print), editorial placement, press launch organisation, international marketing campaigns social media campaigns, newsletters and mailings.
I started my career in GWR radio, then moved into advertising and fashion PR (yep, t’was us that put Liz into that Versace safety pin dress) before eventually landing the big job of international PR Manager for Sony Psygnosis and Sony Playstation, co-ordinating pan european launch events with Sony Music, which included the Wipeout Launch in collaboration with the Ministry Of Sound and venues throughout Europe. In that time we also worked as part of a team liaising with the likes of Michael Jackson management for the Sony Playstation/Psygnosis E3 events. Other events included pan-european F1 launches and championship league football promotions.
Since leaving Sony, I’ve worked with a number of corporates and entrepreneurs offering full spectrum communications services and have lectured in brand management at the University of Creative Arts, Guilford.
As an effective event organiser and PR, I achieved high impact presence for a variety of clients at shows such as Cebit (Hannover, Germany), E3 (LA), ECTS (London and Germany) and CES (Las Vegas).
After finishing my job as Communications Director at Computer Artworks, I moved ever South West closer to my native Devon/Cornwall and have been working on a freelance basis as a photographer, events organiser, copywriter, journalist and publicist.
Events I worked on include Surrey’s Swim Cycle Run Show and Henley Business Schools Alumni and Regatta events but for more information and a full list of clients and referrals please go to my “Kind Words” page at www.carolynseager.co.uk.
I eventually moved from Braunton to Bude in September 2018 whereupon I took a part-time position at The Castle as their Events, Galleries and Weddings Organiser. After a successful six months, we’ve re-branded The Castle as a go-to Cornish venue for weddings, art exhibitions, workshops and festivals. I’ve re- vamped events such as the Bude Christmas Fayre making them far more interactive, entertaining and commercially viable (2018 was their most successful Christmas Fayre in the history of Bude) and introduced new innovative events such as Bude’s Earth Festival, an Eco Festival with environmental talks, workshops and music and The Springtime Wedding Fair, an alternative wedding fair complete with alpacas and man creche. I’m now ready to embrace more challenges and am looking for exciting brands to work with or for. I set up The Wave Turtle Events Co. in February to service local community events and help those wishing to promote eco friendly products and festivals – environmental issues are my passion. I already have eco retreats and incentive travel packages set up for Sri Lanka and Morocco. I’d now really love to utilise my full skill set and media connections to develop a brand which is creative, ethical, vibrant, eco friendly and both music and community led.
On the photography side, I have taken photos for a number of events and festivals including Pigstock, On The Road and Boardmasters plus I’ve photographed bands such as Reef, Lionstar, and Dub Pistols.
FYI, I’m also a trained coach, holistic therapist, Feng Shui practitioner etc so positivity and good energy are always a keen focus. I love to work within small teams in creative and exciting environments that can seem somewhat stressful at times. I also run the Wave Wisdom Spa, a mobile holistic therapy service for surf days and festivals.
• Freelance Events Organiser • PR • Photographer
The Wave Turtle Eco Events Co. – Bude February 2019 to Present
As a freelance PR, Events Organiser and Photographer I set up The Wave Turtle Eco Events Company in February to service local eco friendly events and community projects. I now offer a full freelance events service including concept and brand development, marketing/PR strategy, event PR pre/during and post events, event photography, community management, copywriting, newsletters and media liaison.
• Galleries, Wedding and Events Organiser
The Castle – Bude, September 2018 to Present
As Galleries, Events and Weddings Organiser I’ve successfully strengthened The Castle brand through the creation and management of innovative and highly creative community events, exhibitions, workshops and education days. Key responsibilities include:-
• The development and management of a programme of temporary exhibitions in the exhibition galleries liaising with artists, speakers and exhibitors and promoting each event to local and national press and social media.
• Successfully promoting The Castle as the go-to wedding venue in Bude, overseeing advertising and social media campaigns and increasing bookings and enquiries not only for weddings and civil ceremonies but also for naming ceremonies, handfests and memorial events. I managed all bookings and preparations for weddings and civil ceremonies, liaising with clients to ensure their requirements were met and acting as the first named ‘Responsible Person’.
• Liaising with the caretaking staff, caterers, florists and cake makers to ensure the smooth running of all ceremonies and acting as the production manager for each event ie. arranging and managing all music, photography and entertainment. I am also able to arrange receptions to themed requirements and supply reception facilities such as marquees, tipis, domes, yurts etc as well as transport, live music and entertainment such as alpacas, dancers, bands and a variety of themed room decoration.
• The creation and shared implementation of marketing, PR and advertising strategy for all The Castle events, galleries and wedding services. This includes social media, fairs and open days, social media, advertising, editorial and media liaison with regional, national and international publications. It also includes asset creation such as wedding packs, brochures, pamphlets and posters.
• The specific creation, promotion and organisation of all annual/one off events such as The Bude Earth Festival, Bude’s Christmas Fayre, The Springtime Wedding Fair, Brass Band Open Days, Bude’s Literary Festival, Heritage Day, RNLI day, The Castle Cinema Nights and Bude’s Open Air Theatre Night.
• Ensuring high standards of quality, customer service and health and safety are continuously met – this has resulted in The Castle winning serval awards in the time I have been there.
• Management of appropriate budgets and forecasts in conjunction with the RFO.
• Freelance Events, Marketing and PR Specialist (EMEA), Photographer & Copywriter
Seagerworld PR – Braunton, 2011 to 2018
Providing full spectrum EMEA communication solutions and brand strategies generating quality revenue in line with client objectives and vision.
As an event organiser I managed all show logistics as well as the creation of marketing assets, promotional matters and supportive pan European PR campaigns.
Events included trade exhibitions, launches, photography, charity days and partner shows in the US, EMEA and UK for clients such as:- Swim Cycle Run Show, Youngs Breweries, Lifeworks, Angels Rest, The Voice FM, Top Notch Gyms, Sold Out Sales and Marketing, Environ, Willow Fashion, Seagrass Studio, Equestrian Nomad and The Sunrise Charity.
• Communications Consultant
The Insight PR – Marlow 2002 to 2011
Providing consumer, agencies and not-for-profit clients with creative communication services and events. This included:-
• Creation and management of strategic PR campaigns and high-touch marketing plans. • Digital media campaigns.
• Website and e-commerce site design.
• UK/EMEA media liaison.
• Direct, channel and affiliate marketing programs. • Photographic images and video production.
• Profit yielding event organisation.
• Editorial copy and placement.
• Cause partnership research and introductions.
• Lead processing.
• Communications Director
Computer Artworks – London, 1999 to 2002
• Creation and management of all corporate EMEA marketing and communication strategy.
• Full management of media hub.
• Performed and managed market research and competitor analysis.
• Introduced marketing product development process.
• International PR and Channel Marketing Manager
3D Labs – London 1997 to 1999
• Creation and management of multifaceted EMEA communication campaigns providing marcomms support for 110 distributors and resellers in over 25 countries, maximising trade marketing activity to exceed ROW sales targets.
• Responsible for all above and below the line activity and budget control of over $3m.
• Website design, content creation and online promotion ensuring localised EMEA language sites. • Direct EMEA press liaison across all media.
• International Marketing Liaison and PR Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Psygnosis – London 1992 to 1997
• Part of the team responsible for the successful pre-launch of Sony Playstation across all EMEA territories.
• Management of all EMEA media activity and campaign strategy for 38 top selling Sony Psygnosis Playstation titles including the iconic European best seller, Wipeout.
• Direct liaison with all European press, Sony sales teams and EMEA resellers/distributors.
• Event management of European partner initiatives, trade shows and product launches.
• Co-ordination and management of SCEE marketing teams – 20 personnel.
• Assitant to Publisher
Elle Magazine – London 1992 to 1992
Diploma in Online Business, Copywriting and Entrepreneurship
Marie Forleo Business School – New York, USA 2017
CELTA in Teaching English
Cambridge University – Cambridge 2014
BA Hons English Literature in English
Open University – London 2005
BSc in Psychology and Media Studies
Open University – Marlow, Bucks 2003
3 A Levels in Geography, Biology, English
Clifton High School – Bristol
12 O’levels in Geog, English Lit, English Lang, Music, Maths, History, Religious Education, Humanities, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, French.
Clifton High School – Bristol
Marketing (10+ years), Event PR (10+ years), Social Media Marketing (6 years), Powerpoint (10+ years), Social Media Management (6 years), Illustrator (4 years), Microsoft Excel (10+ years), Microsoft Office (10+ years), International Marketing (10+ years), Photoshop (10+ years), Event Photography (6 years), Event Management (10+ years), International PR (10+ years), Ecommerce (10+ years), Website Design (10+ years), Event PR (10+ years), Indesign (4 years)
1. A professional & fully insured events and surf photographer – I use Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. I also shoot video footage.
2. Excellent people skills, confidence, positivity and customer focus. I fit into any team.
3. I design, write and create newsletters, advertising material, marketing assets, social media headers, shop listings and blogs. I use Mailchimp for mailings.
4. Able to plan, build and manage social media campaigns to create engaged communities on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and FB. Hootsuite proficient.
5. Creation of communication solutions and marketing plans that generate quality leads and pull- through.
6. A strong PR professional able to devise PR strategy and instigate media interest. I write and place editorials, press releases, case studies and opinion pieces.
7. Event organisation and implementation – including trade shows and launch events.
8. Message tailoring for multiple verticals.
9. Website and e-commerce site design using content that ensures hits and sales drive
10. Tracking of program results, lead processing and measurement of ROI program success.
11. Recruitment, management and mentoring of communications personnel.